Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday. John Cage

After reading John Cage’s biography I realized that the life of an artist/ musician/ …etc is unbelievably draining. But I am sure its enjoyable. Anyway I found the fact that Cage preferred to leave out the concept of the subconscious. By performing and creating his work by chance means that he has no control over the outcome. But I guess that what experimentation is for. If you don’t try things in a different manner, how will you discover new ways of approaching something? Furthermore the idea of leaving everything to chance, can be questioned to whether its by chance at all? After all he did work in a controlled environment with material he chose before he started. But I guess that can be considered toward limitations other than just chance.
To me this idea is terrifying. Although his work was successfully carried out, I do not think that it is something that can be approached so care free. Well, it can but will you get the results you were anticipating? What if it doesn’t work? Other than my own fears and I really do appreciate his work in wanting to incorporate everyday sounds to something other than just what they are, it is definitely important to consider everyday aspects of life and refresh their function or definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment