Friday, April 1, 2011

Journal 1

The lecture on Monday definitely made me think about what we classify as art through modern culture.  After watching that Rebecca Black music video I thought about what can be portrayed as art today.  How can something so meaningless have such an impact on society that it goes so far as becoming a success? Is that art? The pile of trash that was critiqued as a piece, was that art? This disturbs me, how do I know that what I create is art? How I can I sleep at night when something I create and feel to be art is also classified under the same genre as such videos like “Friday”?

I realized that these are the kinds of questions that I think about every time I begin a painting. I always think about how I should approach things; should it be for the viewer or for me? Both reactions matter, which is why there, has to be some common ground. The artist should love his work for what it represents to him, but in addition to that, the artist also created his work so that it could be whiteness and processed by other people-spectators, critics, etc.

This helps me understand the concept of whether Rebecca Black is truly an “artist”. The answer is…sure, why not? She created something that meant something to her-whatever her reasons were- (misconception of what art is), and it was critiqued by its viewers. I saw it; I’m a”spectator”.
I have come to the conclusion that this video can be art, it may be terrible, but it did get people to think about it enough to know that they couldn’t stand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment