Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Nexus



I went to go check out the library for the first time the other day. I heard it was a quiet place, where you could watch YouTube videos and check your Facebook in peace. Sure enough when I got there, all the computers were taken by these hard working students, so I decided to go exploring this bizarre place. As I exited the elevator of the 8th floor, I realized that I wasn’t in Kansas anymore, Toto. Instead I was in this dark place filled with book shelves and desks, so I grabbed my wand out of my handy dandy back-pact and “LUMOS!” I could see. I walked around and saw students hard at work, when all of a sudden I look outside the window and see a swarm of Tamarisk Beetles start attacking everyone one on campus.
I stood there horrified as I helplessly watched my fellow gauchos running for their lives. But what can I do? I’m just one person, and it’s not like I’m Harry Potter.

As it turns out, the beetles weren’t beetles at all, but a figment of my imagination. It’s one of the countless of abilities that an art major, such as myself, picks up after spending four years in a university. It’s either that or I have gone delirious from lack of sleep due to all-nighters and party time.
When I finally came back to the real world, I went back downstairs and decided I better do my best to be productive in the few hours I had left for the day. So naturally I went home. I got on my skateboard, and it wasn’t long before I was trampled by a stampede of two wheeled monsters. I got up and ran for my life, realizing that this place is too intoxicating for both me and my sanity.

Nexus Response
The thing about merging fiction with reality is that more exciting narrative can be created. We read and listen to this kind of stuff all the time through social networks, TV and any type of media. It has become a norm in our daily lives that we don’t even notice it anymore.  Wikipedia is a perfect example. Everyone relies so much on it and becomes one of the first resources for our questions. But who is to say that someone didn’t “infiltrate” it and purposefully wrote false information on a subject. We don’t bother to check its validity, because that is why we went to Wikipedia in the first place. Depending on what you’re expecting or really hoping for from outside sources, having a little bit of fiction swimming with factual information, can be a little more exciting than just regurgitating information over and over.
 My response to the nexus assignment was based on the daily lives of the gauchos. Waking up and going to class, following a day trying to catch up on late assignments in the library only to be distracted by the wonderful world of the internet. Why not add some monsters in there? Everyone has their own monsters, whether they are all nighters or midterms and finals.

here's the link

http://www.dailynexus.com/2011-03-29/biocontrol-beetle-beats-problematic-plant-species/

No comments:

Post a Comment