Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Lecture

I really enjoyed Sally Mann’s work the most in today’s lecture. Her images were so upfront and powerful. The way that her children or the other people were looking at the camera, or the way that they were posing really made me wonder what was going on in the scene.

Because the images were very maternal, I was surprised to find out that Jessie had said that her mother never expressed any love towards them.

When looking or creating something personal the imagery or concept, I feel, is so much stronger. It is that personal experience of living everyday in a certain way, that no one else can re-create, or experience in the same manner. I think that’s why these images stand out to me. This was Sally’s life, and she is documenting it in a way that is specific to her. Therefore, I conclude that, because of this, the onlooker tries or even wants to see it in the way she did; in order to appreciate the content that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment