Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Disturbing the Peace

For today’s space invasion I decided to disturb the peace at the library. 

My idea was to simply stand against one of the large windows on the first floor, and press my face and hands against it looking inside at the people sitting in the tables and computers. I did so for at least a good 2 or 3 minutes. The windows are so close to the tables that just standing there for those few minutes was very awkward and nerve racking. As soon as I walked over and stood there staring at them like some creeper, the people who were facing my direction looked straight at me. Looking confused, they told their friends and then they stared as well. I didn’t know where to look, so I kept my eyes moving, trying not to make direct eye contact in order avoid gazes. Then as soon as my friend took the picture and the flash went off, they all started raising their heads trying to see what was going on. It was at this moment that I decided to leave, since I felt like my presence was successfully disturbing.

I decided to do this because I saw a particular group there earlier today and they were really in to their work in one of the study rooms, and I just thought it would be amusing to see their reaction if I just walked up to the glass and stood there with no real intention of doing anything other than invading their space.

In a place like the library where the sole purpose of people being there is to focus on their work, I realized it would be the perfect place to attempt something like this. I realized that people at the library get distracted very easily, when I went up to the window, I made no noise to alert them of my presence, they were just simply looking around when they noticed me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment